Many consider Semrush and Ahrefs to be two of the best search engine optimization (SEO) tools available due to their features that aim to help businesses improve their search engine rankings and to expand their reach. To help you pick between the two, we will break down Semrush and Ahrefs in terms of their features, user-friendliness, and pricing to see which is better.
The Benefits of SEO Tools Like Semrush and Ahrefs
To grow your business, especially online, you need traffic and visitors from search engines. This can be achieved by using an SEO tool that optimizes your website, so it appears higher in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
Here are some ways in which SEO tools can boost your rankings and increase your visibility:
Picking the right keywords can make a huge difference in your traffic and rankings. SEO tools simplify the process of picking not only the best keywords with high search volumes, but also the ones you can rank for, based on keyword difficulty or the amount of competition you will face for a given keyword.
Spying on Competitors
Keeping an eye on your own website and where it stands is essential for digital marketing, but you must also do the same with your competitors. Watching your competitors and seeing what works is a must if you want to move up the SERPs. Find out who is outperforming your business and then emulate or improve upon what they are doing to gain a competitive edge.
Doing so saves you time and keeps you from reinventing the wheel when it comes to SEO, and tools like Ahrefs and Semrush can help you track competitors with ease. Instead of doing the work manually, SEO tools can give you quicker insight into keywords your competitors are ranking for, who is linking to them, and more.
Monitoring Your Rankings
Internet marketing tools make it super simple to monitor your site’s performance in search engine rankings, so you can see if your efforts are working or need to be tweaked. Whether you manually track keywords or input your site’s URL to see where you stand, you will never have to wonder about your site’s placement again, thanks to this common feature of SEO tools.
An SEO tool can help you see who is linking to your website, so you can optimize your link-building strategy. They do this by tracking backlinks to your site’s URLs and offering real insights on how to make instant improvements, such as suggestions on which websites to seek backlinks from.
Making Your Content More SEO-Friendly
You want to ensure all of your site’s content is optimized for SEO. This can be a pretty complicated and time-consuming chore if done manually, which is where SEO tools come into play. By using their audit tools to review your overall site and pages for content, you can receive actionable tips on how to make everything more SEO-friendly. This works for On-page SEO elements as well, like ensuring you have proper header tags in place, good page titles, and SEO-optimized images.
The benefits above are basic features you can expect from most SEO tools. When choosing an SEO solution, pick one with more advanced features, so you can also enjoy more functionality via on-page SEO, analysis of your social media profiles, local SEO, keyword research for paid search, and more.
A Comparison Of Semrush And Ahrefs
As you can see, there are several reasons to invest your time and money into an SEO tool. As for which SEO software is best bet to boost your rankings and reach, let us take a look at how Semrush and Ahrefs compare to one another regarding their features, ease of use, and price.
Semrush, like Ahrefs, is one of the best SEO tools you can find. It got its start in 2008 as a Firefox extension called SEO Digger. It was then rebranded into SeoQuake until it found its current moniker Semrush.
This handy search engine optimization tool offers several ways to improve your search engine and content marketing via an all-in-one solution with the following features:
- Competitor tracking: You can instantly determine who your competitors are by inputting your domain name. From there, you can see details such as each competitor’s top content, keywords (paid and organic) and more.
- Keyword research: Generate keyword ideas with ease, then track your performance on each.
- Content analysis: See if your content follows SEO best practices. If not, Semrush will give you quick tips to fix it.
- Social media: Since social media plays a massive role in visitors’ everyday lives and rankings, it is great to know that Semrush has it covered as part of its feature set. Use the social media tool to post to your platforms, research ads, and track your postings, so you can see what hits the mark and what misses it.
- Ad monitoring: Optimize your ad spend with an ad researching tool, domain monitoring, and a PPC (pay-per-click) keyword tool.
- Local SEO: If your business relies primarily on nearby customers, Semrush’s local SEO monitoring can help you get foot traffic by tracking your search positioning, managing your listing, and performing site audits.
- Robust reporting: Create eye-catching custom reports that are full of data for keywords, entire domains, or URLs.
Semrush offers user-friendly tools and an easy-to-use dashboard, which is crucial since Semrush can overload you with data that could seem daunting to an SEO analyst on the surface. The top of the dashboard has a search bar for domains, URLs, or keywords, and the left panel offers instant access to the tools bevy of features, such as Local SEO, Advertising, Social Media, and so forth.
While intuitive enough, Semrush gives you a help center with tutorials, so you can get started. And, if you want to learn more about SEO, it also has Semrush Academy, which offers tons of courses on the topic.
Semrush comes in three pricing tiers:
- Pro (newbies): $119.95 per month
- Guru (growing agencies and consultants): $229.95 per month
- Business (large agencies and enterprises): $449.95 per month
Read: Semrush SEO Tool Review
Ahrefs was launched 11 years ago as a simple site explorer tool. Now, SEO professionals, digital marketing agencies, and businesses use it to boost their rankings via the following features:
- Site explorer: Useful for spying on competitors, this feature offers insight into your competition’s top content and keywords.
- Keyword explorer: Helps you find and track keyword ideas for your domain with ease.
- Keyword tracker: Lets you track SERPs for keywords and offers filtering by desktop, mobile, and location.
- Site audit: This feature will let you know if your site is optimized for SEO, showing you both good and bad SEO performance and offering ways to improve.
- Content explorer: Gone are the days of guessing what content to produce, as this helps you find ideas by pinpointing the most viral content for any keyword or niche.
- Click data: Gain insight into search volume and estimated click through rate (CTR) with this feature that supplies click data for keywords.
Ahrefs does not take long to get used to, as it is quite intuitive and has a dashboard that is easy on the eyes. Even though you may not need it, each page has an instant help icon that links to support. Beyond that, Ahrefs offers plenty of how-to guides and video tutorials to help navigate the tool as well as articles and SEO resources, so you can learn more on the side.
Ahrefs has four pricing plans to fit varying needs and budgets:
- Lite: $99 per month
- Standard: $179 per month
- Advanced: $399 per month
- Agency: $999 per month
Semrush vs. Ahrefs Comparison: The Final Verdict
Both Semrush and Ahrefs come with features to help you boost your search engine rankings. We recommend Semrush, as Ahrefs is missing a couple of handy perks like social media and PPC ad monitoring. However, both tools can be beneficial at expanding your visibility and reach.