The Anatomy of an RSS Feed
Application Security Testing: An Integral Part of DevOps
This feed structure is standard for a weblog, as it consists of the most commonly used elements. By taking a look at this structure you can see that it's abstract, which is why it can contain any form of information. Even though the structure is abstract you can tell by looking at the feed elements that the data is straightforward. Each item element can contain the following sub-elements in order to describe the item in detail:
17. guid The guid is an element that contains a string that uniquely identifies the item.
18. pubDate The pubDate is the date that the item was published.
20. description Contains the main data for the item, this element is used for the body of the weblog post in this case.
21. link Contains a full URL to the individual page in which the specific item exists in detail.
22. author Represents the author of the content that is presented within this item group.
23. category Allows the item to be included into one ore more category.
24. comments - URL of page that contains comments related to the item.
25. enclosure Can be used to describe a media object if one is attached to the item.26. source The RSS channel that the item came from.
RSS is a format that's become the standard for syndicating information as data. This allows developers to rely on the structure of the files to create programs that can read or parse the data into a readable format.
About the Author
Kris Hadlock has been a contract Web developer and designer since 1996. He is the author of Ajax for Web Application Developers and has been a feature writer for numerous Web sites and design magazines. To learn more about Kris, visit his Web site at www.krishadlock.com
This article originally appeared on WebReference.com
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...