Top 5 Tips for Developers: Mobile Website Optimization
Just as the experience of viewing a website through a mobile device is much different than viewing the same site through a desktop computer, the task of optimizing your mobile site greatly differs from an optimization project for your non-mobile site.
Here are the top five tips for getting your mobile set up to speed, both for visitors as well as search engines:
- Audience Need - Determine why your visitors are visiting your site and prioritize your site relevant to your user's needs.
- Simplify - Keep your mobile site simple; computer users can afford both the bandwidth and the system processing required for the latest whiz-bang technologies, mobile users cannot.
- Images Optional - Again, mobile use means less bandwidth, so don't keep your visitors waiting for pages to load by using large or excessive images.
- Sub-Domains - Your visitors are used to your brand; mobile.yoursite.com is still better than yoursite.mobi, so keep it that way.
- Testing - Your users should not be your website testing crew; test your site with mobile devices and emulators, and when you're done, test again.